Executive Director Position
(full-time, exempt position) Job Description
The Glen Ellyn Children’s Resource Center www.gecrc.org
Since April 2002, the Glen Ellyn Children’s Resource Center (GECRC) has provided cost-free, after-school and summer educational support services for low income, immigrant and/or refugee children residing in Glen Ellyn and whose parents or adult caregivers are unable to provide adequate educational support due to language, culture, education or low income barriers. The GECRC’s Elementary Program includes an after-school and summer literacy program for students in grades K-8. The program operates a minimum of 12.5 hours per week during the school year and for seven weeks in the summer. Currently the GECRC serves approximately 225 children and their families with Glen Ellyn sites located at Abraham Lincoln Elementary School, Churchill Elementary School and Hadley Jr. High. Beyond the Executive Director Position, GECRC’s staff includes two fulltime program staff and additional part-time administrative and program positions.
The Executive Director is the chief executive officer of the organization and reports to the Board of Directors. They are responsible for raising support for the organization as well as oversight of the institutional, operational and programmatic areas of the organization. The Executive Director works in partnership with the board of directors as appropriate in relation to specific areas of management and governance areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities Executive:
▪ Supervise the Program Director(s), administrative staff, and outside contractors. o Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
o Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
o See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
o Ensure appropriate staff and volunteer development and education.
▪ Direct administrative operations.
o Ensure the maintenance of official records and documents and personnel records. o Ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
Executive Duties and Responsibilities continued:
▪ Serve as the primary staff liaison to the board of directors and support and manage board meetings and key board committee meetings (i.e., Finance Committee, Audit Committee, Strategic Planning).
▪ Facilitate communication among all constituencies of the organization through all appropriate means.
▪ Jointly, with the president and secretary of the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
▪ In partnership with the Treasurer and Finance Committee, develop the annual budget, produce monthly financial reporting.
▪ Oversee fiscal policy implementation and the maintenance of financial records.
▪ Ensure that the organization operates within approved budget guidelines.
▪ Assist auditor in execution of the annual audit.
▪ Provide leadership for and actively participate in fundraising activities including individual donor development, major gift solicitation, events and grant seeking and grant reporting.
▪ Oversee and monitor donor database operations.
▪ Oversee and manage donor stewardship and renewals.
▪ Publish an Annual Report
▪ Partner with and support board in all activities related to fundraising (i.e. grants, individual donor campaigns, events.)
Strategy and Vision
▪ Work in collaboration with the Board to ensure the organization’s long-range strategy achieves its mission, and make consistent and timely progress toward these goals.
▪ Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
▪ Coordinate annual planning in collaboration with the Program Director(s) and the Board of Directors.
▪ Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field and undertake professional development opportunities as appropriate and within parameters of budget.
▪ Serve as a liaison with outside organizations to develop opportunities and resources for the organization.
▪ Oversee and support as needed in conjunction with the Program Director, all programs of the organization.
▪ Cultivate and promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization's work and work with the appropriate staff members to ensure sufficient volunteer resources for program implementation.
▪ Oversee and guide the development and implementation of an annual strategic marketing plan inclusive of such elements as public relations, communications and advertising plans, print and electronic materials, social media postings, community outreach and website updates.
Qualifications • Experience in:
o Program development for at-risk populations o Budget development and management o Organizing and mobilizing volunteer efforts
o Partnership development o Fundraising o Managing employees
o Working with multi-cultural constituents
• Demonstrated capacity to lead, manage, motivate and inspire the organization’s team.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Computer skills, including MS Office (required), QuickBooks, Giftworks or similar nonprofit/donor database system helpful.
• Bachelor’s degree required; one in Education, Social Work or Nonprofit Management preferred.
• Valid Illinois Driver’s License
• Bi-Lingual (Spanish) not mandatory but would be beneficial
Salary commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Statement of Nondiscrimination
The Glen Ellyn Children’s Resource Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. The Glen Ellyn Children’s Resource Center utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email by Friday, February 8, 2019 to the attention of:
Executive Director Search Committee Glen Ellyn Children’s Resource Center
© WSPN 2009-2018