Wellness House envisions a community where all people affected by cancer thrive. Offered at no cost, and as a complement to medical treatment, our programs educate, support and empower participants in order to help them improve their physical and emotional well-being.
Summary of Position
The Director of Development is responsible for the establishment and implementation of a comprehensive and diverse fundraising plan that secures financial and in-kind support from individuals, corporations, foundations, and other sources. This individual is able to speak about the mission and impact of Wellness House and maintains strong relationships with donors and prospective donors. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development works closely with fellow directors to translate the organization’s vision and strategic plan into achievable objectives, ensuring the fulfillment of our mission.
Summary of Responsibilities
· Develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include major gifts, special campaigns, special events, individual giving, sponsorship, and corporate, foundation, and civic support/grants. Lead the team in the development of a written annual work plan. Track progress towards goals and make mid-course adjustments as necessary.
· Follow major trends or changes in philanthropy and position Wellness House to respond to such trends.
· Ensure development and maintenance of the organization’s case statement.
· Working with the senior staff team, monitor the financial health of the organization. Prepare philanthropy projections and financial reports:
· regularly communicate to the Executive Director and the board the status of fundraising projects
· review monthly revenue forecasts, track results against goals, maintain and report on Key Performance Indicators
· Build on the existing development program with an eye on expanding the individual donor and funder base and cultivating deeper ties with major donors.
· Participate in strategic planning for the organization; translate Wellness House strategic plan goals into the annual Development Plan.
· Maintain an understanding of the current status of oncology, generally knowing the trends in diagnoses and survivorship; the field of psycho-oncology, and how it intersects with medical oncology.
· Create working relationships with all board members to actively engage them in fundraising activities. Assist board members by increasing their knowledge of and comfort with the integral role that they play as members of the board.
· Staff the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
Major Gifts and Individual Relationship Management:
· Oversee a proactive moves management system for prospecting, stewarding, soliciting, and reporting of major donors.
· Prepare and schedule Executive Director and Board members for major donor stewardship, cultivation activities, and solicitations.
· Build relationships with major donors through meetings, post-meeting follow-ups, and stewardship of interests.
· Develop and adhere to an annual stewardship and solicitation calendar for individual annual fund donors.
· Write personalized letters, reports, and proposals to major donors.
· Personally solicit donors.
· Collaborate with the Marketing Team and others on the Development team to review communications, appeals, and other donor publication materials before public distribution.
· Oversee stewardship of volunteers, board, and committee members to ensure that they are cultivated properly for donor participation.
Foundations and Corporate Relationship Management:
· Hold primary responsibility for ensuring that Wellness House develops and executes proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach.
· Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward foundations, corporations, and other philanthropic institutions and organizations that currently support or could support Wellness House. Wellness House currently has a portfolio of 12-15 grantors.
· Oversee writing and submission of proposals, high-level sponsorship requests, and updates. Oversee development and maintenance of the annual calendar for those deadlines.
· Host program officers or other representatives at site visit meetings. Train and prepare other staff members to do so as well.
· Collaborate with the Director of Finance to ensure necessary financial reports are created for funders.
· Model for staff, and actively engage and contribute to, a healthy, stimulating, productive work environment where all constituents, participants, staff, volunteers, and donors can “feel better inside.”
· With other Managers, participate in ongoing evaluation; utilize evaluation feedback to inform future planning.
· Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate Development Department personnel and consultants.
· Provide professional development opportunities and guidance to each team member to help strengthen their skill sets and job satisfaction.
· Meet regularly with the team to identify priorities, discuss strategies and review ongoing projects.
· Identify and develop new policies and procedures for Development.
· Develop and monitor the Development expense budget. Develop philanthropy revenue projection. Approve departmental expenditures.
· Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred.
· Five years prior development experience required.
· Prior experience managing development staff required.
· Proven ability to raise an annual $4-6 million budget, sustained over multiple years
· Proven experience in creating and maintaining relationships with individual donors, foundations, and volunteers.
· Must be PC proficient. Must have strong experience with databases, Excel spreadsheet layouts, and Word. Experience with Donor Perfect preferred.
· Solid organization and planning skills; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written; results orientation; innovative thinker; initiative; highly ethical.
· Committed to the mission of Wellness House; ability to communicate the mission and philosophy of Wellness House.
· Access to transportation for local travel needed.
· Pleasant work environment includes free parking and easy access to Metra station
· Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use and employee is regularly required to use hands and talk and hear. Position requires occasional ability to lift 40 pounds. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms balance, stoop, kneel or crouch
· Some weekend and evening work required
· Competitive salary benchmarked across industries; Salary range is 90-100K with additional bonus structure
· Employed paid Medical, Dental, Life, Long-term Disability, and AD&D insurance premiums
· Voluntary Life, Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness, and Vision benefits available
· 403(b) with employer match
· Gym on-site
· Generous sick and vacation time
Wellness House is an EOE. To apply for this position, please send a letter of interest and resume to HR@wellnesshouse.org and include “Director of Development” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Updated June 10, 2022
© WSPN 2009-2018