Job Title: Director of Development
Location: Chicago, IL (Rogers Park)
Employment Type: Full-time (hybrid)
About Madonna Mission
Madonna Mission is a not-for-profit organization providing education and resettlement support programs for refugee families with a strong focus on women and elementary aged children. Madonna Mission was formed to provide a safe space in a compassionate and supportive environment for refugee community members to learn English. We empower through education, and our programs encompass families from 29 countries speaking over 24 languages.
In 2012, we opened our doors to provide important support programs for refugees and their families in Chicago. The individuals and families we serve are vetted by the State Department and are legally admitted to the U.S. from countries suffering from political and civil unrest, climate driven famine, violence, and poverty. Our students are grateful newcomers in an unfamiliar land, eager to build self-sufficient lives but lacking the day-to-day experience and language to navigate a foreign country. They all seek a path to productive citizenship. Refugee agencies offer some support, but that support ends within a few months, and they are expected to be self-reliant, often without family, friends or networks of support.
Madonna Mission offers a safe space where students can receive connections to resources and learn in a compassionate environment.
Now in our twelfth year, Madonna Mission is seeking a dynamic Director of Development to join our team and help us expand funding so we can grow our services. This position is responsible for developing and executing strategies to meet the fundraising goals of our organization with a current budget of $600,000 and a goal of $1,000,000 in 3-5 years. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who is passionate about our mission and eager to join our team at this exciting inflection point for our organization. Reporting to and in partnership with Madonna Mission’s Executive Director, the Director of Development will spearhead all development efforts as the organization continues to grow. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who combines excellent communication, organizational, and project management skills with an entrepreneurial approach to fundraising. We are looking for someone who is energized by this exciting challenge of growing revenue to deepen our investment in the potential of refugees.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
● Establish and meet Madonna Mission’s annual and long-term fundraising goals.
● Develop and manage the organization’s donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship process.
● Develop strategic partnerships with corporations and foundations.
● Create and lead fundraising campaigns and manage events.
● Identify high-impact donors and create targeted development plans to earn and retain ongoing support.
● Work with the Board Development Committee to engage all Board members in identifying potential donors, and partner in follow-up activities.
● Work with the Associates Board in planning events to support fundraising activities.
● Review grants written by the grant contractor, helping to identify new opportunities and stewarding foundation relationships.
● Organize and participate in donor meetings and tours.
● Work with the office staff to manage all donor documentation via DonorSnap (CRM system) to ensure tracking as well as accurate and timely data entry, gift processing and reporting.
Skills and Competencies
● At least 5 years nonprofit professional experience in revenue generation including demonstrated success securing grants and major gifts, leading campaigns, prospective donor outreach, and event planning.
● Bachelor’s Degree in business, communications, public administration, or nonprofit management is preferred but not required.
● Experience in CRM systems, preferably DonorSnap.
● Experience with both Microsoft Office and Google Drive applications required.
● Ability to lead the grant writing process including identifying funding sources, writing and submitting proposals, and monitoring outcomes.
● Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Ability to work in a collaborative work culture.
● Ability to work independently.
● Experience working with programs that support youth, refugees, or immigrants is desirable.
● Available to work weekends and evenings, as needed.
Salary and Benefits
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Betsy Soete, TWB Senior Counsel at: email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
© WSPN 2009-2018