Exhibits Intern (May - July 2019)
Department: First Division Museum
Reports to: Exhibits and Collections Processing Technician
Location: Wheaton, IL
About the First Division Museum
The First Division Museum is a world class museum dedicated to American military history and specifically the history of the Big Red One, the famed 1st Infantry Division of the U.S. Army. Located on the grounds of Cantigny Park in Wheaton, Illinois, our 38,000 square-foot facility includes 10,000 square feet of interactive and experiential exhibits. The museum has a wide variety of exhibits including life-size dioramas, Virtual Reality, and tanks found in the outdoor military park. The McCormick Research Center, located in the First Division Museum, is home to thousands of books, donated papers, photographs, and oral histories that tell the story of the 1ID.
Opportunity: Exhibits Intern
The First Division Museum offers a structured, formal internship program that provides exposure to specific departmental activities and museum-wide initiatives. This is an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on experience in museum exhibitions including artifact handling and care, display research and labeling, pop-up exhibit projects, and multi-media gallery updates. We do our best to offer an experience that matches the interests of our interns with the priorities of our team at the museum. Each intern is given a thorough orientation, syllabus, is well supervised, and evaluations are completed by both the student and the supervisor at completion, ensuring a strong learning experience. Our past interns have a strong track record of moving on to successful careers. Ideal candidates have a strong interest in preservation, collections and exhibits, museum studies and operations more broadly, and/or military history. This is a part-time position (approx. 20 hours/week) for three months from May through July 2019 that reports to the Exhibits and Collections Processing Technician.
· Duty First Exhibition Updates: Assist with Duty First gallery updates. The Duty First gallery tracks the 1st Infantry Division’s history from post-Vietnam to yesterday. The use of technology and multi-media allow the gallery to be updated quickly and easily. This includes editing content and uploading text and photos to the various exhibit displays.
· Gallery Maintenance: Assist with maintaining the gallery and ensuring the displays and equipment are in good, working order.
· Demonstrated passion for the Foundation’s values with commitment to deliver results measured against the Foundation’s mission
· Outstanding interpersonal skills and experience building relationships with multiple stakeholders by listening to new ideas, encouraging dialogue, and inspiring people to work towards common goals
· Excellent writing and presentation skills, particularly in communication with diverse constituencies in a variety of settings
· Basic computer skills including use of Microsoft Office Suite
· All offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and drug screening
To apply: submit a resume and cover letter online here.
Cantigny Park and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, individuals with disabilities, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital and housing status.
© WSPN 2009-2018